Senior Power Electronics Engineer
Date Posted: 4/30/2021
Employee Type: Full-time
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Type: Engineering - Electrical
Date Posted: 4/30/2021
INNOVATE WITHOUT BOUNDARIES! At Milwaukee Tool we firmly believe that our People and our Culture are the secrets to our success -- so we give you unlimited access to everything you need to create disruptive new technologies and solutions on our electrical engineering teams. Our Engineering Team is responsible for giving life to the batteries, motors, and electronics that power solutions changing the lives of our users. Every developmental phase of these critical components happens in-house under the watch of this team. We continue to invest in electrical engineering resources to design and develop leadership in electronic capabilities; something unique within the industry. And we're pushing the limits in firmware engineering, power electronics, embedded systems, machine learning, and the use of artificial intelligence.
Behind our doors you'll be empowered every day to own it, drive it, and do what it takes to design and develop the biggest breakthroughs in the industry. Meanwhile, you'll have the support and resources of the fastest-growing brand in the construction industry to make it happen.
Year after year, our team continues to make significant breakthroughs in the industry. We're just getting started. To learn more about our story click HERE.
The Senior Electrical Engineer is a technical lead on the Platform Power Electronics team focused on delivering innovative power delivery solutions up to thousands of kilowatts within our power tools. You will be responsible for selection and qualification of novel power electronic components while working with Embedded System, Firmware, and Product Development Engineers to deliver robust, reusable, fundamental designs that will be used across Milwaukee Tool for many years.
You'll also be DISRUPTIVE through these duties and responsibilities:
- Executing a lead role for the design, prototype, test and troubleshoot power tool motor controllers on mid to high complexity projects.
- Simulate, design, and validate various AC/DC. DC/DC, and DC/AC topologies.
- Independently write test requests to the Milwaukee Test Laboratory based on established test procedures and prior examples.
- Create design documents, schematics, layouts, bill of materials, test plan and test report.
- Interact with suppliers to develop part/product specifications meeting performance requirements while falling within process capabilities.
- Provide candid and effective communications up, down and across the organization on progress, barrier removal and escalation of business risks/opportunities while driving appropriate actions based on priorities tradeoff.
- Demonstrate Milwaukee Tools Culture of high performance and agility by independently creating Work Breakdown Structure for your work and driving to critical milestones.
- Drive urgency in project schedules and accountability for establishing and achieving key project metrics that meet the organization's needs.
- Serve as a role model Milwaukee Tool's culture while mentoring, guiding, and coaching junior Engineers. Grow the ability to lead and manage a small team.
- Use laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, e-loads, and data acquisition systems.
- Independently track projects to ensure adherence to schedule and the Milwaukee process.
- Design and qualify new designs to applicable regulatory standards such as UL, CEC, CE, and ANSI.
What TOOLS you'll bring with you:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 5+ years of design experience in power electronics design and semiconductor component selection.
- Firm understanding with EMI/EMC concepts including identification of sources, transmission paths and mitigation methods.
- Hands-on approach with proven track record of realizing designs/concepts into productions.
- Firm understanding with magnetic circuit design including: Transformer design, gapped energy storage devices and filtering components.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills in analog circuit design and ability to view issue systemically for driving design trade-off discussion.
- Ability to research root cause failure analysis after all obvious ideas are exhausted
- Experience in analog circuit design and troubleshooting.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time (domestic and international).
Other TOOLS we prefer you to have:
- Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering with focus in power electronics.
We provide these great perks and benefits:
- Robust health, dental and vision insurance plans.
- Generous 401 (K) savings plan.
- Education assistance.
- On-site wellness, fitness center, food, and coffee service.
- And many more, check out our benefits site HERE.
JOIN OUR TALENT NETWORK
Not ready to apply yet but still interested in building a future here at Milwaukee Tool? Join our Talent Network and be among the first to hear about new job opportunities, hiring events, insider knowledge, company news, and so much more! We look forward to staying connected with you.