Milwaukee Tool is changing jobsites every day with our commitment to innovation and solving problems for our end-users. We are currently looking for a Workwear Apparel Designer to support the growing Jobsite Apparel category.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable contributing their skills throughout the entire product development process, including fabric selection, garment design, fitting, technical development and communication with vendors. Our team is small, dynamic and agile, so candidates with a collaborative nature and entrepreneurial spirit will be successful in meeting the needs of each project.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be a pro-active contributor through entire design/development process: research, concept development, fabric selection, flat sketching, tech pack creation, design presentations, fitting sessions, garment reviews and factory discussions
- Collaborate with Product Manager, Project Leader to help establish and meet the needs of the project/product brief
- Collaborate with Materials Designer, Technical Designer, and creative design leads on setting design direction and developing products.
- Work directly with marketing and design research to understand end user needs through in-the-field research
- Design/develop new seasonal styles, as well as line updates and refreshes to existing products
- Collaborate with design team members to ensure design direction is consistent with the existing line along with proposing areas to evolve to keep the line relevant to market trends and customer expectations
- Focus design efforts on the end user to achieve opportunities for product innovation and customer satisfaction
- Ensure each product is consistent with market trends and business strategy
- Prioritize workload and requests to insure delivery of key project milestones in a timely manner
- Contribute to building tech packs to accurately communicate design intent to the garment factory
- Communicate design, fit, and construction to suppliers via measurement charts, patterns, sketches and/or digital images
- Contribute to fit sessions to deliver the garment fit as outlined in the project brief, while providing input to improve function and appearance.
- Collaborate with fabric selection and make choices for fabrics and trims that achieve user's needs and meet cost targets while providing functional innovation
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issues while making balanced recommendations to ensure brand integrity
- Create and maintain product specifications, including advanced constructions, in Adobe Illustrator and/or patternmaking software (Gerber, PAD, etc)
- Evaluate samples to determine specs, construction and fit intents are met and aligned across the product line
- Communicate design issues with all stakeholders and resolve within production timelines. (moved some words around)
- Assist in developing prototype garments in-house and/or work with outside development resources for sample production
- Communicate regularly with management to highlight the current state of the design and be ready to answer questions on why and how design decisions are made
- Assist in reviewing final measurements for consistency and apply grades to styles prior to bulk production
- Research trends and technologies and analyze customer comments and sales feedback to continuously improve product performance and meet evolving user needs
- BA in Apparel Design, Industrial Design, Fashion Design or related field of study preferred
- Minimum 5+ years of professional experience in designing apparel. Outdoor gear or Workwear preferred.
- Understanding of the history and direction of market trends within workwear
- Advanced knowledge of Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop
- Strong visualization skills -- ability to effectively communicate design intent through free-hand sketching and flat sketching, along with vector-based drawings on the computer
- Ability to communicate clearly, in a very candid fashion, throughout the design process with multiple stakeholders
- Must have exceptional time management skills and ability to work autonomously when appropriate
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and respond to changes in an agile fashion
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience designing softgoods a plus, but not required
- Experience with 3D pattern software a plus, but not required
- Willing to travel for work, including internationally, 5-15% of time