Principal Firmware Test Engineer
Date Posted: 6/11/2021
Employee Type: Full-time
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Job Type: Engineering - Electrical
Date Posted: 6/11/2021
INNOVATE WITHOUT BOUNDARIES! At Milwaukee Tool we firmly believe that our People and our Culture are the secrets to our success -- so we give you unlimited access to everything you need to create disruptive new technologies and solutions on our electrical engineering teams. Our Engineering Team is responsible for giving life to the batteries, motors, and electronics that power solutions changing the lives of our users. Every developmental phase of these critical components happens in-house under the watch of this team. We continue to invest in electrical engineering resources to design and develop leadership in electronic capabilities; something unique within the industry. And we're pushing the limits in firmware engineering, power electronics, embedded systems, machine learning, and the use of artificial intelligence.
Behind our doors you'll be empowered every day to own it, drive it, and do what it takes to design and develop the biggest breakthroughs in the industry. Meanwhile, you'll have the support and resources of the fastest-growing brand in the construction industry to make it happen.Year after year, our team continues to make significant breakthroughs in the industry. We're just getting started. To learn more about our story click HERE.
The Principal Firmware Test Engineer will be a technical lead in the development and execution of test strategies for new firmware architectures, applications, components, and libraries to ensure on-time delivery and requirements are met. You will also have the potential to lead a small to medium size team of engineers to support the testing of embedded systems. You will interface with electronic hardware design and other cross-functional teams to understand system design requirements and translate them into testable requirements.
You'll also be DISRUPTIVE through these duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the design, development, execution, and troubleshooting efforts for test procedures related to firmware features, applications, and subsystems of mid to high level complexity.
- Lead the design, review, and refinement of engineering requirements for test needs.
- Lead peer-review of test designs and automation.
- Develop test plans and drive consensus to enable the delivery of firmware that meets all requirements by testing.
- Lead agile project teams through the new product development process.
- Drive continuous improvement efforts of test development.
- Champion experiments using simulations and other methods to draw concise, logical conclusions by analyzing data.
- Use agile methods to break down tasks, assign work, provide estimates, drive critical milestones, and track progress to ensure adherence to schedule and Milwaukee Tool's processes.
- Lead technical meetings, develop, and give formal technical presentations, and potentially lead a small technical team.
- Quickly, effectively, and candidly frame-up and escalate business risks/opportunities to senior leadership.
- Effectively communicate and motivate up, down and across the organization to a diverse range of technical and non-technical team members.
- Drive urgency in project schedules and accountability for establishing and achieving key project metrics that meet the organization's needs.
What TOOLS you'll bring with you:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- 10+ years of experience with verification/validation testing, hardware in the loop (HIL) testing, embedded systems and/or PCBA design.
- Ability to read schematics and component data sheets, along with a proficient understanding of digital circuits to understand the interaction between firmware and electronics.
- Proficient in using laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, power supplies, e-loads, data acquisition systems, multimeters, power analyzers, etc.
- Experience with National Instrument hardware, Test Stand, and/or LabView for automated testing (Development or Execution).
- Experience using a scripting language (Python, C#, or C/C++ etc.) to create automated tests.
- Practical experience leading through all aspects of the software development lifecycle.
- 3+ years of leadership or project management experience with demonstrated ability to partner across discipline and organizational boundaries to develop and execute project plans.
- Proficient using tools required for software configuration management, requirements management, defect tracking, and peer review.
- Practical experience with DevOps, automated testing, continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD).
- Good understanding of various testing methodologies.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, exercises independent judgement, and works well under pressure in a dynamic environment.
- Self-motivated, organized, efficient, and process oriented.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to travel up to 10% (Domestic and International).
Other TOOLS we prefer you to have:
- Exposure to bare-metal firmware design.
We provide these great perks and benefits:
- Robust health, dental and vision insurance plans.
- Generous 401 (K) savings plan.
- Education assistance.
- On-site wellness, fitness center, food, and coffee service.
- And many more, check out our benefits site HERE.
JOIN OUR TALENT NETWORK
Not ready to apply yet but still interested in building a future here at Milwaukee Tool? Join our Talent Network and be among the first to hear about new job opportunities, hiring events, insider knowledge, company news, and so much more! We look forward to staying connected with you.