Principal Electrical Engineer - NPD Lighting and Lifestyle
Date Posted: 6/9/2021
Employee Type: Full-time
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Job Type: Engineering - Electrical
Date Posted: 6/9/2021
INNOVATE WITHOUT BOUNDARIES! At Milwaukee Tool we firmly believe that our People and our Culture are the secrets to our success -- so we give you unlimited access to everything you need to create disruptive new technologies and solutions on our electrical engineering teams. Our Engineering Team is responsible for giving life to the batteries, motors, and electronics that power solutions changing the lives of our users. Every developmental phase of these critical components happens in-house under the watch of this team. We continue to invest in electrical engineering resources to design and develop leadership in electronic capabilities; something unique within the industry. And we're pushing the limits in firmware engineering, power electronics, embedded systems, machine learning, and the use of artificial intelligence.
Behind our doors you'll be empowered every day to own it, drive it, and do what it takes to design and develop the biggest breakthroughs in the industry. Meanwhile, you'll have the support and resources of the fastest-growing brand in the construction industry to make it happen.
Year after year, our team continues to make significant breakthroughs in the industry. We're just getting started. To learn more about our story click HERE.
The Principal Electrical Engineer -- Lighting & Lifestyle will lead and collaborate with a world class team of cross-functional engineers and project managers to create and deliver specifications for electronics systems and new-to-world solutions. You will be responsible for providing technical direction and oversight, team leadership and project management for a variety of complex power tool electronics projects to support our Lighting, Vacuum, Heated Gear and Lifestyle business.
You'll also be DISRUPTIVE through these duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and lead a small to medium size team of engineers to ensure all groups are working towards the goal of successful and timely completion.
- Assist, evaluate and/or lead internal design efforts of proposals and developmental testing in areas such as hardware design and firmware design.
- Mentor and coach the team in engineering best practices including task management, Gantt charts, root cause analysis, circuit / PCB design, and PCBA manufacturing.
- Champion and drive new processes and procedures to meet the needs of a changing business.
- Drive root cause failure analysis to quickly identify tradeoffs and solutions to issues within a high urgency environment.
- Establish and maintain a strong awareness and database of competitive offerings, product strategies, and business climate to shape a best-in-class roadmap.
- Quickly, effectively, and candidly frame-up and escalate business risks/opportunities to senior leadership.
- Effectively communicate and motivate up, down and across the organization to a diverse range of technical and non-technical team members.
- Drive urgency in project schedules and accountability for establishing and achieving key project metrics that meet the organization's needs.
- Ensure the team is given the time and resources required to succeed by creating and managing robust project roadmaps and resource plans with converged project scope.
- Develop plans to evaluate and assess the emerging technology market space to fit/compliment Milwaukee Tool product initiatives and development.
What TOOLS you'll bring with you:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 7+ years of experience in product design.
- 3+ years of experience with technical leadership.
- Broad-based experience with various electronics disciplines such as,
- Analog design
- Power electronics
- LED lighting
- Microcontroller systems
- USB power systems
- Brushless motor control
- Prior experience with the development of "end use" commercial products and knowledge of taking an item from concept to production.
- Ability to travel up to 5% of the time (domestic and international).
Other TOOLS we prefer you to have:
- Master's degree in Engineering, Engineering Management or MBA.
- Knowledge in motor controls or embedded system designs.
- Familiarity with firmware design and C++.
- Familiarity with mechanical design and thermal management concepts.
We provide these great perks and benefits:
- Robust health, dental and vision insurance plans.
- Generous 401 (K) savings plan.
- Education assistance.
- On-site wellness, fitness center, food, and coffee service.
- And many more, check out our benefits site HERE.
JOIN OUR TALENT NETWORK
Not ready to apply yet but still interested in building a future here at Milwaukee Tool? Join our Talent Network and be among the first to hear about new job opportunities, hiring events, insider knowledge, company news, and so much more! We look forward to staying connected with you.